The president-elect appoints the chairs of the committees. The chair and Board liaison to each committee recommend members to that committee for presidential appointment. Six individuals serve on each committee, including the chair (with the exception of the Emergency Management Committee which has eight members, including the chair). Committee terms are for two years and there is a limit of three, two-year terms (or six consecutive years). The term of office for the chair shall be one year. An individual member of the committee may serve as committee chair for no more than two years of their potential six-year term on the committee, but must be appointed by the new president-elect in order to serve a second year as chair. The qualification basis for appointment to the committees will continue to be as a “highly knowledgeable subject matter expert” in the specific area of committee responsibility.
The appointments will occur during May. This will allow sufficient time for new members to budget and prepare to be present at the Public Works Expo (PWX) meeting of the committee. The PWX meeting will include all members on the current committee and will include all new appointments.
All committees meet individually either on the Saturday prior to PWX or one day during PWX for three to four hours. These expenses are not reimbursable. Each individual committee meets for a one-day planning meeting in the spring. These expenses are reimbursable. Generally, each committee meets by conference call about ten times a year for approximately one hour per call. Outside reading of minutes/documents/agendas may take 2-5 hours per month. Additional work will be based upon commitment of committee members to various assignments.
Expectations of Committee Members
Realizing that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, the role of the members of the committee is vital. Interested parties and their employers should be aware of the duties to which they are agreeing prior to completing the nominations process.
It is expected that:
- Each member of the committee will be a member in good standing with APWA, meaning that payment of dues is current.
- Each member will commit to serving and actively participating in the work of the committee for the full term of appointment.
- Each member has “hands-on” experience in the field and can add to the base of expertise.
- Each member is comfortable in leading discussions throughout the year.
- Each member is willing to author or recruit others to author articles for the Reporter, publications, and educational programs.
- Each member’s employer will support and allow full participation on the committee, including participation at PWX (at agency expense) for both the incoming and outgoing appointment years.
- Each member will participate in the monthly conference calls of the committee, as well as the committee meeting prior to PWX both in the incoming and outgoing appointment years.
- Each member will spend approximately two to five hours per month in committee activity.
- Each member will maintain close watch on pertinent industry developments and advances (including technology), ensuring that those are discussed at the Committee level and if seen as beneficial to our membership, addressed through educational programming by the Committee throughout the year.